Saturday, June 2, 2012

Despues de Unos Dias....

I've been here for three days and so far I really like it. It's been slow for me, the people I'm working with want me to get used to the higher elevation (~5,500 ft.) but I've been spending my time talking, reading, learning Koine Greek (helps to be surrounded by seminarians and Pastors) and being driven around the city. It's beautiful here, reminds me a lot of Puerto Rico. The tropical wild life, mountainous scenery and constant "Buenos Dias" and "Que Tal" bring a nostalgic feeling of my island. It's really nice to be immersed in a culture closer to my own, speak my language, eat good food, and drink amazing coffee. Amidst the similarities to the island and how I was brought up there are differences. To begin with, I'm one of the tallest and biggest people here -needless to say, I stand out. I still get thrown off guard when I see people (body guards and police) walking around with assault rifles. But I think what has impacted me the most is the number of people who come and ask for money and/or food, children specifically. I experienced this almost immediately. Getting off the plane and walking to the car there was a little boy, perhaps 7 years of age, who grabbed my bag and tried to help me asking for money the whole time. I felt guilty because I only had American Currency which isn't good here unless exchanged. I was assured however that I didn't have to give him money but to be prepared because I was going to see that a lot.
In America we speak about poverty and socio-economic differences but rest assured Americans are blessed. In three short days I have seen prosperity and poverty fluidly intermingling. In the city, it isn't uncommon to see a lavished government building on one side of the street and a roofless residence on the other. Yesterday I sat at a Burger King eating dinner and had a little 7 or 8 year old girl run up to my table with her little sister of about 3. "Porfavor unas papitas (Please some Fries)" the older girl said and then the little sister would echo "Si! Unas papitas (Yes! Some fries)!" Then the older said, "O un helado (Or an Ice Cream)" and the younger echo'd "Helado (Ice Cream)!" As I sat frozen, not sure what to do, the person I was with just looked at me and smiled, noting how uncomfortable, distressed and saddened I was. The girls lost interest and moved onto the next table, and the next, and the next till the entire room was checked and then onto the restaurant next door; repeat.
I've asked the people I'm with what wages look like for the average worker and I hear numbers of around Q 2500 a month (Q stands for Quetzel the national currency). That doesn't sound all that bad until you put it into Dollars. For each American Dollar one receives about Q 7.60. So, Q 2500 is about $330 US -give or take. It's easy to say, well, "the cost of living is lower" and you certainly think this...until you actually buy something. On groceries for about ten days I spent Q 500. Let's put it in perspective, that's only about $66 US: it's a bargain...well, unless that's a fifth of your month's wages. What happens for a family of 4, or of 5, or of 6, 7, 8, 9? I went to Burger King and a Burger, Fries and Drink cost Q 38. Not bad for an American bringing US Dollars, it's only about $5 US, but for some people here that's a high luxury.
So I ask, what are people doing about this, what is the Church doing about this?! I'm told the sad reality that a lot of churches exist to make money. Moises is one of my co-workers/bosses and when we spoke yesterday about this the anger and frustration exuded from his pores. Moises was a Pastor and now he works with AGAPE, teaching full time, but he says that the expectation here is for a Pastor to be paid and taken care of and sometimes this translates to Pastor's taking advantage of their position. He said "Pienso que es lo mismo que Luter pelio (I think this is the same thing Matin Luther fought [indulgences])." So Moises and the others here stand together in a mission to edify the people immediately around them as well as those in the places no one reaches, i.e. Quiche, both in the foundations of the gospel and the practicality of stewardship, skills and responsibility. The mission of the gospel is not just spiritual, it's physical, through helping and training they hope to make an impact -one that is desperately needed here.
Yet I stand perplexed.
Perplexed at the Joy.
Perplexed at the Happiness.
Perplexed at the Community.
Perplexed at the Love.
Something I love about being Latino is that "En las pocas y en las malas feliz debemos estar (In the little and in the bad we should remain happy)." I have been accepted here as family and friend and I see a smile on every face. There is a since here that you can do things several times but you only live once. I wish not use this in the same way that it has be popularized in America by modern music and culture which says "Yolo, You only live once, therefore live it up, party, drink, hook up" and the list goes on. These base values obstruct and distract from what I see here. Here it's you only have one life, and it's a blessing to have it, so why get mad, why get sad, why get frustrated, rejoice in the good and bad. Are there criminals here, yes; poverty, yes; corruption, yes; injustice, absolutely; but many here rejoice with what they have and "cojen el provecho (gain the fullest privelage)" of each day. There are people that complain, and people who are apathetic or cynical, but for those who count each day as a blessing there is great joy, and this is something we can all learn from.

If you want to see more photos of my adventure you can go to: www.tinyurl.com/jjrvguatemala

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment