Friday, June 8, 2012

In Memory of the Beloved Ron Harvill


This past week I made my first trip with AGAPE to the rural Quiche. Since it was my first trip my leaders told me not to teach but instead to merely observe. I was struck by many things: socio-economics, male/female relations, living conditions, law enforcement, the travels, etc. One of the things I was most struck by, however, was how going to these places, that literally no one wants to go to, and helping and educating the people groups there has changed those who work with this organization. All the people I work with have said that being in these places and living with these people has made them grateful of everything they have and in little and in plenty they praise the Lord for His provision and blessing. 
When I got back from my trip on Thursday I checked my email and saw a message from First Baptist Church speaking about a memorial for Ron Harvill. I was very confused and after a few emails and text messages it dawned on me that after a long fight with cancer our Brother Ron Harvill had passed away. The picture above epitomizes Ron, he was an individual who found joy in the simplicity of life, being with Samantha (his Granddaughter), with Chris (his wife) and he truly considered every day a blessing. Here I am thousands of miles away and I'm realizing that everything I'm learning here -praising the Lord in little and in plenty, counting every day a blessing, being grateful for what I have, helping those in need and always encouraging and blessing the people around me- are things that Ron lived out each and every day. Ron viewed life as a blessing and that perspective made him a blessing to others. I met him through my mom years ago because they were in the same Pastor's Class at First Baptist Church of Manchester and ever since we met he was nothing but an encouragement. Whenever he saw me he'd give me a big hug, ask me how I was and say at the end "I'm praying for you brother" and I know those weren't empty words. The last time I saw him was the Wednesday before I left for Guatemala. He had asked the deacons and church leadership to pray for him. I waited outside the door until they finished praying and when Ron came out he didn't say anything at first, just smothered me with one of his bear hugs. After a few seconds he said to me "I know God is going to do great things with you, don't be scared to go off and spread the love of Christ." 

He could have said anything, even complained if he wanted to, but instead he wanted to encourage me. 

I asked him how he felt and he said "I'm a little tired but I'm standing on this solid rock so all is well."
For those who didn't have the blessing and honor to meet Ron Harvill I want you to know that he was an amazing man who loved the Lord and spread His love to everyone he interacted with. For those who did have that honor to meet him, consider it a blessing. I quite literally only interacted with the man at church but when I heard of his passing I wept. Even now as I write this I can help but have tears fill my eyes because in the little time I knew him he was such a blessing in my life. We have sadly lost an amazing man but I hear him even in his absence saying, "Cheer up brother, you're going to see me again some day!"

Rest In Peace Ron, you are dearly loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment